Friday, June 11, 2010

houseboat...


i lied. i'm a liar now too. the surfboard table and the back-and-forth game my brain has played in its demise, is nothing compared to coming to terms with selling my home. plain and simple: i don't want to sell my house, i want to keep my house. i love my house. i love it like it were a human being. or at least as close as i can guess what that would feel like. i had bought it with the plan that i would keep it as an investment long after i had decided to move on myself.

it just had never crossed my mind to sell it. until one day it did. like a switch. that quickly and easily in a blink of an eye. i was going to sell it and i was going to move on. i always thought of my house as an anchor of safety. something to come back to if the next path i took was a mess. but as i became more aware of my buried life, i realized my pretty, pretty house was just a container to hold the stuff. if i was going to move on to a new life, then she needed to be afforded the same opportunity.

i think they say the first rule of real estate is to never get attached, but i can't be sure. that may just be a tip i picked up on flipping from my overexposure to hgtv. but because i love her like no other, finding my home... a good home... one with the right fit, is starting to enter my head.

how do you put value on a home. they call it an appraisal, but after living here for years, i know the true value of this home has absolutely nothing to do with its square footage. it has more to do with the lush green of the park staring back at you when the sunlight wakes you up in the morning. or how the lights of the leveque tower shine brightly like a nightlight as you come up the stairs to bed. the value is in the crossbreeze of fresh air from the windows made up of different shapes and sizes. the same windows that tinker like a greenhouse during the many days of ohio rain.

the value for me will have to be in that i am able to appreciate those things and hope that whoever she shelters next will grow to notice them too. they say home is where the heart is and i know first hand the heart can be in several places at once.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, and know how much you love your house. I love it too! I've had many a great moment there and it's sad to see it go, but at the same time, I'm excited to see you move on and know that you will find another fantastic space to call home soon!

    ReplyDelete